Gee-ologee
July 16, 2008

Today the sun shone. I know that’s not terribly remarkable for most people but it is significant for the north shore of Lake Superior this year. We haven’t had much sun this summer. Mostly we have had rain–buckets of rain. Large buckets of rain. So when I say the sun shone today, know that it is a meaningful event.

We spent the day digging in the back yard redesigning the lay of the land. Our home (sanctuary) is built on an ancient raised beach of Lake Superior and the soil is 99% fine beach sand. The remaining 1% is what passes for topsoil in these parts. The Lake is currently about a kilometre away from the house and is significantly lower than the old beach in which we toiled.

While digging crabgrass roots out of the sand and marvelling at the fine hairy roots other plants put down to eek sustanance from the beach, I retold myself the story of “Paddle to the Sea” and wondered if perhaps the canoe stopped on my beach in its journey to the ocean. Then I replayed, in the theatre of my mind, the old NFB film “The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes”. I can see the waves pounding against these ancient sands doing as I am doing–reshaping the landscape.

As always time marched on and we accomplished the task we set out to do. Just another reshaping of the shoreline of Lake Superior. I feel good!  GRB